Frequent Questions - Municipal Utilities

You are here: Home  »  Departments  »  Municipal Utilities  »  Frequent Questions

What services do you offer?

St. James Utilities is a municipally owned utility. We provide electric, water, sewer, and natural gas service and maintenance.

Where are you located?

Our Customer Service Office is located inside the St. James Municipal Center at 100 S. Jefferson, St. James, MO.

When are you open?

The office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You may reach us by phone at 573-265-7011 between 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Who do I call with questions about recycling or trash?

The City of St. James Sanitation Department handles all questions concerning recycling and trash removal in the city. They can be reached by calling 573-265-1144 or 573-263-9568

How do I sign up for e-bill?

SJMU can now email your monthly bill to your email address, all we need is an email address. If interested call the office at 265-7011, ext. 5 and request to be set up for e-bill.

What methods of payment do you accept?

There are several options you may use when paying your utility bill. They include: Cash (in office), Money orders, Checks, Cashier Checks, Debit or Credit Card (in office or over the phone). A 2.5% Fee is applied to all Credit/Debit Card Transactions. ACH- Set up your account so that your bills will be paid automatically from your checking account. Call 573-265-7011 for an enrollment form to get started today with ACH.

Who do I call to locate utility lines before I dig?

St. James Utilities is a member of MO ONE CALL service. just call 811 or visit at least "2 Full Working Days" but not more than 10 calendar days prior to the start of your excavation and they will notify St. James Utilities.

What information do I need to turn service on?

For residential Service: All parties must be present. Service address, turn on date, name of responsible party, mailing address, daytime phone number, driver's license or state issued ID, date of birth, Social Security number, Employer name, address and phone number of employer, marital status: If married, spouse's name plus all of the above information. The same information is required for all roommates.

What information do I need to turn service off?

If possible, we advise coming in at least 2 days in advance to accommodate your desired date. If you are moving from one location to another within the service area there is a $20.00 fee.

Where do I mail my payment?

Payments can be mailed to STJMU, 100 S. Jefferson, St. James, MO 65559.

Will I be required to pay a deposit? If so, how much will it be?

You will be required to pay a deposit. Deposits are based on the services provided. For residential customers, the minimum deposit amounts are: With a letter of credit for the previous 12 month period, must show zero penalties, or late payments - $100.00. All services - $300.00 Water service only - $50.00 For business customers the deposit is based on estimated utility use and will vary.

When will the deposit be refunded?

Deposits are refunded after the customer discontinues service and has paid the final bill.

If I am unable to pay within 14 days is it possible to get an extension for payment?

Payment extensions are not granted at this time.

If the bill is not paid, will service be disconnected?

If payment is not received by the due date a letter will be sent notifying you of the date of disconnect, if the payment is not received before the disconnect date service may be disconnected until the bill is paid.

What can I do if my water has a strange smell or taste?

Sometimes, strange tastes or smells in water can be caused by it sitting in the water main or water heater for too long. This can be a particular problem near the end of lines. The smell should dissipate after being regularly used for a period of time. 

How are sewer charges calculated if there is not a meter on my sewer line?

Sewer charges are calculated based on the amount of water that you use.

What number do I call in an emergency?

Emergency calls can be taken in the office during regular business hours. After hours, during weekends and on holidays, emergency calls should be made to the following numbers- For an Electric Emergency Call 573-263-0707, For a Water or Sewer Emergency Call 573-239-8848, for Gas Smell or Gas Emergency Call 573-265-3777.

How can I get on the level pay program?

Level pay is ideal for customers with fixed or limited incomes or anyone who wishes to know with certainty what their bill will be each month. If interested in finding out about the details of level pay please call customer service at 573-265-7011, ext. 5.

Can I have my bills automatically deducted from my bank account?

Yes. Our ACH program makes it possible for you to have your monthly bill automatically deducted from your checking account. To enroll for the program you will need to come into the main office and authorize us to deduct your bill