The City of St. James is a 3rd Class city incorporated in 1892. St. James is conveniently located in the eastern half of Phelps County, Missouri, at the intersection of Interstate 44 and Missouri Highway 68. The population was 4,216 at the 2010 census. The current form of government is Mayor/City Administrator/Council. St. James Municipal Utilities is a municipally owned utility providing it's customers with electric, natural gas, water and sewer service.